This week Niche is having a blast at our first international trade show, Euroluce, the world's premier lighting event. Euroluce is part of Salone del Mobile, an event that has been the forerunner of the design and home-furnishings shows since 1961. That's 54 years for the show to grow!
The idea of Salone del Mobile was initially founded by a group of entrepreneurs engaged in the production of wood furniture. At the time, in the 1950s, manufacturing companies were small and scattered throughout Italy. They sought the need to gather and combine for massive production in order to increase the exports of their products across national borders.
Over time, the radius of interest began to extend to different sectors of furnishings such as lighting, bathroom, office, and kitchen. Today, Salone del Mobile encompasses seven types of environments or rooms, also known as salons. The annual salons are:
• Salone Internazionale del Mobile - the exclusive stage to present the latest in furniture.
• Salone Internazionale del Complemento d'Arredo (Furnishing Accessories) - Home accessories, gifts, decorative items, textiles - and styles - from classical to modern design.
• SaloneSatellite - founded to bring together the most promising young designers around the world, and connect them with leading entrepreneurs and talent scouts. To ensure high quality, participants' applications are judged by a prestigious committee made up of the world's top figures in design, planning, and communication.
In even years, the following salons are organized:
• Eurocucina - the landmark event for kitchen design, kitchen furnitures, materials and coatings for the kitchen, and accessories for cooking.
• Salone Internazionale del Bagno (International Bathroom) - the exhibition for manufacturers of furniture and fixtures specifically for the bathroom, from sanitation elements to coatings, floorings, faucets, showers, bathtubs, and saunas.
In odd years, the following salons are organized:
• SaloneUfficio (Office) - the international benchmark in the field of office design and furnishings - both domestic and business - and also combines institutions such as banks and post offices.
• Euroluce - now in it's 28th year, the biennial dedicated to excellence in lighting design. That's where Niche is now and we hope to return in the future...
...but before we start thinking about the future, take a trip back in time at some selected Salone del Mobile posters from the last five decades! You can find all 50 years worth of posters here. We are so thrilled to be part of such an important and timeless event!